[MUD-Dev] BIZ: Who owns my sword?

Crosbie Fitch crosbie at cyberspaceengineers.org
Wed Sep 17 00:33:30 CEST 2003

From: Matt Mihaly

> You're free to ignore me, but I'm willing to bet just about
> everybody else on this list with significant commercial MMOG
> experience on the business side is going to tell you the same
> thing.

Yes, I expect you're right.

Maybe it's only those without significant commercial MMOG experience
that are able to countenance different business models?

> Don't mistake a reluctance to take the time to explain it in
> detail for an inability to do so. I honestly don't mean this to be
> insulting but I feel like this list should be advanced enough that
> I feel nobody should have to explain why recurring revenue is
> essential for a fully commercial MMOG project anymore than I
> should have to explain why there will always be grief players.

Yes, and you wouldn't need to explain it to me either, because I'm
not talking about a conventional 'fully commercial MMOG project'.

I guess I'm trying to suggest some advantages to making a boat out
of concrete, and the expert wooden boatbuilder is going "But,
concrete doesn't float!", and I'm going "But, you haven't even seen
the boat yet. How do you know it won't float?" and you go "You won't
find any boat builders that will give you funding to make a boat out
of concrete", and I go "But, I'm not looking for funding, I'm just
trying to help you solve your woodworm, fire-hazard, and lengthy
manfacturing problems...".

> Well, there's really no point in me saying anything else, so good
> luck with your ventures.

Likewise...

<sigh>