[list] Re: [MUD-Dev] Re: DGN: Why give the players allthenumbers?

Rayzam rayzam at travellingbard.com
Thu Sep 18 16:06:13 CEST 2003

From: "Scion Altera" <scion at divineright.org>
> Wednesday, September 17, 2003, 11:21:38 AM, Rayzam wrote:

>>   2) relate a lot of those factors into a value, such as Weapon
>>   Class [wc], that is used in many games. That's what we
>>   use. Different weapon types [sword vs bludgeon vs dagger] have
>>   different damage dice, critical hit chances and stun
>>   chances. WC is a numerical measure of combat effectiveness of
>>   that weapon within it's weapon type. So a WC 60 sword may do
>>   more damage than a WC 80 dagger, but the WC 80 dagger may
>>   result in more critical hits than the WC 60 sword.

>> But if a game doesn't give a measure such as Weapon Class, it
>> really should give the function as listed in (1).

> Yeah. I think we're in agreement for the most part here. I
> certainly wasn't trying to suggest that the player be given no way
> to compare items. I just think that inventing a number from a
> formula and giving that to a player is unrealistic when some of
> the data in the formula are subjective. The combination of factors
> and their interpretation by each character may vary with skill,
> experience, and what the character is looking for in the
> item. I've always been a fan of an accurate compare command that
> would take into account all the features of the items being
> compared as well as the relevant skill of the character and
> produce a simple statement that item A is better than item B. In
> real life I have a basic idea of how to tell if a sword is good or
> not, but I'm certainly no expert. I may be easily fooled by a
> cheap knockoff. I also have no formula with which to calculate a
> number like the "weapon class" you mentioned. For me, this number
> makes it harder to suspend my disbelief. I'd far rather have some
> kind of prosaic equivalent, especially if it's a bit more "fuzzy"
> than the number, and maybe just a bit unreliable.

Yea, we are in agreement. And weapon class is really a conglomerate
concept without much correspondents with the real world. It's really
intended as a 0-100% scale of how good is it. And we can all
basically answer in that scale. You're a little under the
weather. Do you feel 100%?  Nope, you feel maybe 80-85%. It's like
that.

    rayzam
    www.travellingbard.com