[MUD-Dev] ghost mode (was Re: SW:G)

Rayzam rayzam at travellingbard.com
Thu Sep 18 16:46:49 CEST 2003

From: "Amanda Walker" <amanda at alfar.com>
> Rayzam" <rayzam at travellingbard.com> wrote:

> I am very sorry for the double-followup, but there was an issue I
> intended to address but evidently edited out by accident:

No problem!

>>   4) No pain, no gain. I'm an explorer type, but I gain a bigger
>>   feeling of accomplishment by earning my way there.

> There's an aspect here for commercial games that puts a twist on
> this, though: I "earn" at least something by paying the monthly
> fee.  If I have to spent 3 months in the newbie backyard because I
> only play an hour or so a night and don't have an existing guild
> to powerlevel/twink me, there's a point where the game stops being
> worth my investment--I'm paying for content I don't receive, even
> though it's described right there on the box.

> This is, of course, a really tough balance to strike.  I *don't*
> agree with the "I paid my ten bucks!  I should be a god!" crowd
> (though that could form the basis for an interesting game).  On
> the other hand, gatekeeping everything with combat selects for
> people who grind combat xp.

Here's a crazy idea: Scale the monthy subscription by advancement in
the game!

  Starting character: $2/month
  Medium character: $10/month
  High character: $15/month

This way, you scale the monthly fee to the amount of content the
character can access. Of course, modify this if the game allows
multiple accounts, i.e. just take the highest level to determine the
fee.

    rayzam
    www.travellingbard.com