[MUD-Dev] ghost mode (was Re: SW:G)

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Wed Sep 24 09:36:59 CEST 2003

From: Amanda Walker [mailto:amanda at alfar.com]

> How about the other way around: pay a fee to level your character
> (this is, in effect, what ebay character trades do).  So many
> cents per xp or something.  I'd be all over that.  Time is money.
> And this way, the game provider gets the profit, not players who
> farm stuff for ebay from their dorm room.

> Anything see a problem with this business model?

Depends on the difficulty of the game. Games such as EQ are
difficult to survive in at high level unless you've played up to
that level yourself.  That wouldn't be too bad, except that due to
the group nature of these games other peoples fun will be
jeopardised by these unskilled players leveling beyond their skill.

There's a reason beyond simple resentment that ebay characters are
seldom welcome in guilds. I'm not saying it isn't possible and that
all power leveled players would suck, just that it might cause some
social problems.

Dan