[MUD-Dev] size

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Wed Sep 24 13:54:10 CEST 2003

On Monday, September 22, 2003, at 11:04  PM, Matt Mihaly wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Sheela Caur'Lir wrote:
>> From: "Matt Mihaly"

>>> Yeah, but there are thousands of muds out there and a handful of
>>> EQ's. I'm not willing to make universal rules based on the
>>> experience of a handful of games.

>> With all respect to text MUDs, but I think EQ alone have had
>> almost as many players alone as almost all the text MUDs
>> combined.

> EQ probably does have as many players as all text muds
> combined. But this isn't mud-player. It's mud-dev. It's also not
> EverquestWannabe-dev.  There's a troubling (if understandable) and
> ever-increasing trend on the list to focus on a handful of games
> and worse, a handful of games most of which don't diverge much
> from a single mold.

I tend to use popular MMO games as examples mainly because it's
likely that a large proportion of the readership is familiar with
them, and because a recurring subtheme of mud-dev is "how do I build
an MMO game?"

That said, I generally agree.  Most of the current crop of MMO games
amount to "D&D or Rolemaster with an automated GM and a chat
system," and much of the discussion over the last couple of years
has concerned game design issues, not implementation issues, which
I'm actually much more interested in.  Things like the recent thread
about how to support tens of thousands of client connections, for
example, or the relative merits of using Python vs. Scheme for
handling scripting and other behavioral implementation...

Amanda Walker