[MUD-Dev] ghost mode (was Re: SW:G)

Acius acius at hedwig.simud.org
Wed Sep 24 17:18:45 CEST 2003

Rayzam wrote:

> Here's a crazy idea: Scale the monthy subscription by advancement
> in the game!

>   Starting character: $2/month
>   Medium character: $10/month
>   High character: $15/month

> This way, you scale the monthly fee to the amount of content the
> character can access. Of course, modify this if the game allows
> multiple accounts, i.e. just take the highest level to determine
> the fee.

I think this is a *crazy* idea, and am surprised that all the other
followups so far have agreed with it. This is essentially a loyalty
tax -- you hung onto our game for a long time, so bang, we're going
to penalize you for it! If the jump from $2 to $10 is at level 30,
how many players are going to try and stay on level 29 as long as
possible? You've just created a strong disincentive for them to
level up that last little bit. At the very least, your RP players
(who may not need to be as strong) are going to try and make sure
they don't cross that nasty real-life-money threshold. "I can afford
to play until I hit 30, then I have to start over..."

And beware the new style of griefer: The XP griefer! Haha, I just
raised your monthly fee! I'm not sure how you can force a player to
gain XP, but I suspect they'll find a way. If nothing else, put them
in a dangerous enough situation that they have to fight or die -- so
they die, or they gain XP, a lose-lose situation.

You can avoid this sharp threshold by having a smoothly sliding
scale -- so there is no gateway of financial doom, but rather you
lose a few more cents a month every time you gain another experience
point. Either way, though, it's still a loyalty tax.

-- Adam Helps
Acius of Walraven