[MUD-Dev] A world without charity

eric ericleaf at pacbell.net
Wed Sep 24 22:26:07 CEST 2003

From: "Eamonn O'Brien" <decado at esatclear.ie>

> All this talk of who owns whos sword and ebay trading lately got
> me thinking, and so I started to wonder why players can trade
> items for money, and the answer is simple, because in game
> mechanics generally allow you to hand an item over to a player and
> to recieve nothing in return, an act of charity. So this got me
> thinking, if the game prevented acts of charity such that all you
> could do with an item was junk it (i.e. remove it from the game
> world, not drop it) or trade it for an equally valuable item what
> would this do to the game world?

Nevermind the rest of the debate, you lost me right here. I can't
seen to bridge the logic gap between, trading and charity. I think
charity is only a specific aspect of a "trading system". At any rate
this system would seem to fall apart in the first 5 minutes of a
group hunt, how do you propose to split up the spoils?

>From a more emotional level this suggestion just seems utterly
wrong-headed.  I can't imagine any sensible commericial OG
implementing a game where good will is not allowed, despite the
supposed abuses it allows. I'm sure there would be a "community"
which would enjoy this but I myself would steer clear of such.

-Eric