[MUD-Dev] DGN: Why give the players all the numbers?

Rayzam rayzam at travellingbard.com
Thu Sep 25 19:40:29 CEST 2003

From: "Lee Sheldon" <lsheldo2 at tampabay.rr.com>

> Can we add numerical values to those aspects of the design less
> focussed on achievement? (You smell the roses and gain 40 points
> to Olfactory Sensitivity!) Do we want to? I don't think so. The
> logical conclusion - IF immersion is a goal - is to balance the
> experiences by dropping the explicit numbers from those activities
> that currently track them with such zeal.

But there are really 2 types of numbers/descriptions: metagame ones
and in-game ones. It's as erroneous to reduce the 2 to descriptions
only, as it is to reduce it to numbers only.

Metagame Numbers
---------------------

For example, when you read a book, you're immersed in it. Yet it has
chapter and page numbers. So at any point, you can see how much
you've advanced (page #). You can see what general level you're at
(chapter). These don't take away from immersion just by their
existence.

In a mud, exp and player stats are metagame numbers. They measure
advancement and progression.

In-game Numbers
------------------

These are the ones that should be stated descriptively for
immersion.  "You strike a vital organ." "The ogre towered above
you." "The Holy Dwarven Axe of Sundering slew Grummsch with a mighty
blow." Now whether or not the number is known, it is presented in an
immersive way. The players can know the number,by working it out or
the game giving them a scale to compare to, but that becomes their
choice, and occurs afterwards. During the interaction between the
player and the game, the game is giving descriptions. Thatis what
makes it immersive.

    rayzam
    www.travellingbard.com