[MUD-Dev] size

Matt Mihaly the_logos at ironrealms.com
Thu Sep 25 19:42:18 CEST 2003

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com wrote:
> From: Matt Mihaly [mailto:the_logos at ironrealms.com]

>> EQ probably does have as many players as all text muds
>> combined. But this isn't mud-player. It's mud-dev. It's also not
>> EverquestWannabe-dev.  There's a troubling (if understandable)
>> and ever-increasing trend on the list to focus on a handful of
>> games and worse, a handful of games most of which don't diverge
>> much from a single mold.

> That's not the fault of the people who've played these games
> though. Its with the people who haven't not posting here! Speaking
> personally, I just can't get excited by a text mud, but I've
> played most every Euro/American graphical MMO out there.

Oh, I totally understand that many people can't get into text muds
though it really is your loss if you're into gameplay over
eyecandy. The graphical MMOs are only JUST starting to do anything
I'd consider interesting gameplay wise (A Tale in the Desert, and
some of the crafting in SW:G for instance).

Mainly, I (and probably lots of other text mud types out there) get
annoyed by discussions that start out, "Wouldn't it be neat if
someone did <X>" when people have been doing <X> for years in text
MMOs.

> Anyway waiting anxiously for the Iron Realms game so I can use it
> as example fodder ;) I'm sure the EQ team are equally as tired of
> all the post-match analysis focussing on them!

Well, I have no doubt that the graphical game we're attempting to do
(I emphasize attempting. It's not a sure thing yet.) is not going to
live up to the depth of our text games. It's just too expensive and
too difficult to do on multiple world instantiations and with such
large populations of players, most of whom aren't interested in much
beyond whacking monsters.

--matt