[MUD-Dev] BIZ: Who owns my sword?

Matt Mihaly the_logos at ironrealms.com
Fri Sep 26 18:28:59 CEST 2003

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Ren Reynolds wrote:

> I just thought that I would note that I am starting to revise my
> view over ownership of virtual items and their sale. In summary I
> feel that games companies most likely have copyright in
> player-characters, and possibly other virtual items; however I am
> still unsure as to whether these rights are of sufficient scope
> for a game company to use to prevent the sale of characters or
> items, moreover (at first sight) there seem to be weak grounds for
> the use of contract law also.

Well, we stop the sale of our most important in-game items
(artifacts, which can only be bought from us) by simply not allowing
them to be transferred to other characters in any circumstance.

And while we can't stop you from trading your character we reserve
the right to ban, delete, etc at will, which is what will happen if
we catch character trading going on.

--matt