[MUD-Dev] re: Sun's Sim Server and Gordon's 10 Reasons (the firstone :))

Michael Sellers mike at onlinealchemy.com
Fri Apr 2 11:32:28 CEST 2004

Ceo wrote:

> At the GDC Sun released a new technology, a protype MMOG server
> system. I'm guessing quite a few people on this list saw it (I'd
> be interested to know what you thought).

> It was built by someone at Sun's "Game Technology Group", who have
> had a slightly shakey start, being both a rallying point for the
> java games dev community, but also burning a lot of bridges with
> said community.

I didn't see the server at GDC, but as a purely technical piece of
the puzzle it may be worth looking into.  A quick google on this
didn't turn up anything though, which I thought was interesting.

> The developer apparently hadn't heard of Gordon's "10 Reasons"
> talk from GDC03, and seemed to feel that the few key problems
> solves by their tech was the holy grail for MMOG development that
> would make it easy and cost-effective.

Having read the responses to the javagaming.org thread, this guy
comes off like someone who knows little about MMP development or
deployment.  Unfortunately, this seems to me to be something of a
pattern coming from Sun.

For an example from a different but equally necessary area, I talked
with Chris Mellissinos and others in Sun's booth at GDC about the
lack of strong 3D solutions for Java game development for example,
but they seemed unphased.  It's going to be a good year at least
before Xith3D, LWJGL, the new open-sourced Java3D, or other similar
solutions provide something really usable in this area -- and
meanwhile the Torque engine was wowing them in the nVidia booth (and
is available to indies for $100 or to corporations for $500!).

Sun appears to be trying to foist enterprise solutions in both
hardware and software on the game development market.  From where I
sit at least, it isn't working.

Mike Sellers
Online Alchemy