[MUD-Dev] re: Sun's Sim Server and Gordon's 10 Reasons (the first one :))

Luca Girardo girardo at computer.org
Fri Apr 2 11:38:36 CEST 2004

At 14:54 31.03.2004, ceo wrote:

> His summary is "So in short, which of Gordon's 10 does the Sim
> Server adress?  My answer is every one thats real!" which I find
> somewhat blinkered. It appears he chooses to ignore all the
> non-technical problems, including issues of maintenance, customer
> support, ongoing development, etc.

I do not think he is ignoring all the non-technical problems. His
answers are fitting if you consider the MMOG as a standard
distributed legacy system. And following that model, if you have a
good architecture, you have solved all your problems. Is that true?
Yes and no. Yes, a robust distributed server architecture is a huge
benefit and it is a factor to take in consideration with a growing
customer numbers and possibly multiple MMOGs. And if you look at
Jeff's answers, you see they are correct. Correct as long as you see
the MMOG just a standard legacy system and you just try to analyze
the impact of the software architecture. The problem is that a MMOG
is more then a software architecture and it is more then a standard
distributed legacy system. The fact that Jeff is ignoring this fact
in his answers make me wonder why that: absence of experience in the
MMOG field (therefore this limited model view) or because would like
to market the Sim Server Technology (see here for a short
description

  http://www.javagaming.org/cgi-bin/JGNetForums/YaBB.cgi?board=News;action=display;num=1080684805

as the final and unique solution (see Chris comment "...I know that
there are others that have been building companies doing similar
things, but we think we have a unique solution here..." at

  http://www.javagaming.org/cgi-bin/JGNetForums/YaBB.cgi?board=News;action=display;num=1080684805;start=15

for all the problems developers will encounter during the creation
and development of a MMOG.  Or is again an example of Gordons reason
#9 why not invest and make a MMOG?

It could also be interesting to initiate an in-depth discussion of
Gordon's 10 reasons with their implications for all the different
aspects of a MMOG (and not only software architecture even if that
is one of the principal aspects).

Luca Girardo