[MUD-Dev] re: Sun's Sim Server and Gordon's 10 Reasons (the firstone :))

Mike Rozak Mike at mxac.com.au
Sun Apr 4 07:53:07 CEST 2004

>From ceo at grexengine.com:

> At the GDC Sun released a new technology, a protype MMOG server
> system.  I'm guessing quite a few people on this list saw it (I'd
> be interested to know what you thought).

I don't know how good Sun's platform is, but their strategy raises a
few questions:

  - Has anyone signed on for this server system? (Usually such
  announcements include a list of partners.)

  - Of the 100 MMORPG in development, how many of the ones that
  survive past their first year will actually throw out their
  existing server code to use Sun's?

  - From now on, how many MMORPGs will be written from scratch?
  (They're the most likely candidates for Sun's system.)

  - What are the strategic reasons why Sun is pushing this system?
  Is it only to make money directly from the sales of the server
  system? Is it to keep MMORPG servers from using Linux/Windows? Is
  it to promote Java on the client so that MMORPG clients will run
  on non-Windows OS? Is Sun trying to componentize the MMORPG
  market, thus devaluaing it, and preventing another Microsoft from
  forming?

Mike Rozak
http://www.mxac.com.au