[MUD-Dev] Client side simulation

Thomas Tomiczek t.tomiczek at thona-consulting.com
Mon Apr 5 07:06:30 CEST 2004

From:  Nate Combs

> Depends upon how much you trust your clients.  If you don't, I
> can't imagine how you can make it work securily easily (or at
> all).  While I have heard of client-based proposals based on
> voting schemes.. etc., they feel hard and not fool-proof.  Would
> like to hear if anyone can cite a good survey paper along these
> lines.

I think this is the core problem here - trust. I personally knew a
guy that "hacked" Meridian 59 by analyzing wire level traffic cand
injecting his own information in there (basically building a
proxy). Worked like a charm and was not fun for everyone else.

In the end, the only thing you will be able to offload to the client
is simulation that is irrelavant for the gameplay: cloud generation
on the sky (NOT time of day - people may want to have sunlkight 24
hours a day), lots of graphical numboi jumbo. And this is already
done today, as it looks. For everything else you are back to a not
really world. Trust is NOT something you want to give to your
players in a MMORPG.

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Software & Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)