[MUD-Dev] Player Justice

Tom Tom
Mon Apr 5 17:25:24 CEST 2004

Monday, April 5, 2004, 2:02:23 PM, Jeff wrote:
> Baar said:

> I'm a programmer for voice mail/chat dating systems and we've
> found this to be one of the more effective ways of dealing with
> trouble users. Let them think they are harrassing everyone on the
> system, but never send their actions to any users. They will think
> they are just being ignored by everyone. Eventually they give up
> since they no longer get the satisfaction of bothering anyone.

One of the options we have on QuakeNet (IRC network) is permament
removal based not only on hostmask, but on the internal accounts we
provide that allow people to control and manage channels.

We have a very small group (less than .05% of users) who are
persistent offenders/abusers, making use of multiple accounts to
avoid these bans - but for the most part when someone slips up and
starts being abusive, forcibly removing them from the network and
barring their access works wonders.

For most people feeling out the limits of the network it only takes
one short gline (global ban) to elicit an apology for their
behaviour.  It's amazing what effect denying access to social
networks can have, especially on hardcore online games players.

Regards,
Tom "cro" Gordon
CEO, AlienPants Ltd