[MUD-Dev] Random Placename Generation

Ben Hawes cruise at casual-tempest.net
Fri Apr 9 09:48:42 CEST 2004

Edward Glowacki wrote:

> The next step would be to try using all of the above. You could
> organize them any way that makes sense to you and come up with an
> algorithm to choose which way the name will be generated.  Maybe
> traverse a hierarchy making a weighted decision at each level:

>   - Template (30%)
>     - template A [20%]
>     - template B [35%]
>     - template C [45%]
>   - Algorithm (30%)
>     - algorithm 1 [75%]
>     - algorithm 2 [25%]
>   - Pre-made lists (40%)
>     - Earth astronomy [20%]
>     - Names I came up with while drunk last night [5%]
>     - Greek mythology [15%]
>     - Genus and species of various animals [30%]
>     - Latin words [30%]

Rather than have these various types on a straight probability, it
might be worth weighting the chances depending on distance from the
home world(s). So the pre-made lists are more likely to be used
nearer (eg. our solar system, and the first few stars), but then
drifts into coded letters/numbers as you reach the unexplored
areas. Then save the randomly generated names for inhabited planets
- the change in nomenclature between the first seen and recently
settled would be natural considering the change in language and
culture between early astronomy and advanced star-faring
civilisations.

Apologies if  didn't explain that very well :P

--
	"quantam sufficit"
[ cruise / casual-tempest.net / transference.org ]