[MUD-Dev] re: Sun's Sim Server and Gordon's 10 Reasons (thefirstone:))

David Kennerly kennerly at sfsu.edu
Sat Apr 10 14:44:11 CEST 2004

Thomas Tomiczek wrote:
> From: David Kennerly
>> Quoting Eric Lee:

>>> The major difference between 20 shards of 5,000 players apiece
>>> and one shard of 100,000 players is that in the latter case you
>>> have to create ~20 times as much content to keep all of those
>>> players busy and to give them room to breathe.

>> Your insightful point piques my curiosity.  How much more
>> dissatisfied are players with 20 copies than 1 copy?

> IMHO the problem pointed out is more one of having to provide MORE
> content. Not because of players not being satisfied with the
> content, but because of the space needed.

But what if content creation has an economy of scale? -- such as
making a really large expansive plain instead of a smaller one with
20 times more land mass and 20 times more instances of experience
point vendors (monsters and quests).

When Nexon has localized maps from Korea to the US, it has on many
occasions substituted smaller maps, because the world was too big
for the player population in the US.  There was not more variety,
just a greater length and width with an equal density of mobs.
These maps were not always so large.  They were stretched to deal
with the 10,000+ simultaneous players in the same distributed
server.

If this can be done on an economy of scale approaching a lower-order
term of operation cost, what remains to be determined is user
satisfaction.

David

--
http://finegamedesign.com