[MUD-Dev] [News] Virtual goods--Oh, the controversy!

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Sat Apr 10 17:31:42 CEST 2004

On Apr 10, 2004, at 9:25 AM, John Buehler wrote:

> I don't have time to train for a marathon.  So on race day, I just
> pay for the ability to ride a bike through the race.  Then my time
> goes up on the same scoreboard, without footnote, as the people
> who actually trained and ran the grueling race.

What scoreboard?  No MMO game I have played yet (and that's a lot of
them) has had a victory condition at all.  If anything, everyone who
treats it as a race ends up sitting around griping about the "lack
of high level content."

> Because in their mind, the game is ABOUT investing time to work
> through the level grind.

I've never quite understood this, I'll admit.  It sounds too much
like "job", and not enough like "game".

it's one of the things I like about FPS and console games, actually:
no levels, no grind, just skill.  It's probably one of the things
I'm enjoying about Second Life, too: having real life CAD and
programming skills gives me a distinct advantage when it comes to
creating in-world content.  No level grinding necessary.

Amanda Walker