[MUD-Dev] MMOG money-making clients

ceo ceo at grexengine.com
Sat Apr 10 18:34:11 CEST 2004

Just saw this. I was wondering how advanced the state-of-the-art in
automated clients is these days - has anyone had serious problems
with the eBay money-makers using custom clients to take all the work
out of selling in-game items?

The quoted site is selling Diablo2 items on Blizzard's servers for
$5-$15. Given how long it can take to *find* particular items, and
the huge extent to which item collection defines the game, I can see
a lot of resale value here.

Personally I have no problem with people making money out of playing
the game (and I'd prefer not to re-visit the "is this legal/moral"
arguments), but making money via 100% automated clients IMHO falls
right into the spammer category: it only takes one not-so-bright
person to think about it for a few minutes, plough their profits
back in, and soon you have whole basements full of $300 PC's
permanently connected permanently generating items for sale on eBay.

And *that* is a terrifying prospect.

  [nb: I find the former "acceptable" because of the inherent
  limitations; if all it takes is PC's, then a single player has
  power limited only by the point at which he has generated so many
  items that the price drops out of the market - and even then, so
  long as the items can be sold for more than the electricity cost,
  the player continues to make easy profit]

PS I'm assuming Blizzard is already on top of this kind of thing -
since there's no subscription revenue for D2 they have even more at
stake.