[MUD-Dev] [News] Virtual goods--Oh, the controversy!

Stone Stone
Mon Apr 12 11:12:10 CEST 2004

From: John Buehler

> Consider my statement in terms of what I thought was the original
> question: why do people gripe about people buying levels
> (characters) and items.  I spoke in an attempt to illustrate a
> mindset that explains why people don't like it.  I'm not trying to
> justify the ethic of the level grind.

You potentially could also look at it this way. In competitive auto
racing there are classes based on performance (Which also roughly
equates to monetary investment) If I am taking my little home-built
daily driver to the track, I do not have to compete with an open
wheel, full ground effects formula ford or a 500hp twin turbo
Porsche or Viper.

Disregarding the entire level grind debate, MMO's are competitive
and letting someone purchase goods is like forcing a miata to race
the porsche. Where it gets to be questionable in my opinion is,
letting a porsche enter the race is obviously not fair, but what
about someone buying last years race winning miata?