[MUD-Dev] Player Justice

Paul Schwanz pschwanz at comcast.net
Tue Apr 13 16:11:29 CEST 2004

Freeman, Jeff wrote:
> From: Paul Schwanz
>> Freeman, Jeff wrote:

>>> In this system the players build the town from the ground up out
>>> of nothing.  They pool their money and resources and after
>>> building the town, they feel that the town is their town.  Their
>>> homes are there, along with their merchants, stores and
>>> factories. The town isn't just something they own, it's
>>> everything they own.

>> So you end up creating what?  A game where little can be lost,
>> little can be gained...and there is little reason to play?

> Quite.  And that is also bad.  But that's why I said that in
> hindsight, I'd have divided the "everything you own" and the
> "everything you fight over" into two seperate things.  If towns
> are "Everything You Own" (and in SWG, they mostly are), then I'd
> have players fight over some 3rd-party territory.  It can be
> *something* they own: Something they win and lose, but it
> shouldn't be *everything* that they own.

Huh.  For some strange reason, that sounds entirely more reasonable
than the words I put in your mouth.  :p

It used to be that Characters were everything that you owned.  And,
of course, that made it extremely difficult to take away a player's
character.  Separating things out into character and town and then
adding territory to fight over does seem like an improvement to me,
provided that players feel the additional territory is worth
fighting over.  However, I'd still be concerned about having
immutable structures that characters were allowed to place, since I
think you'd still end up with problems like the scenario Raph
described earlier.  Perhaps characters could be allowed to recoup
most of their personal goods from a town that came under "new
management."  In the end, I think that if you make it cost more
resources to take over a town than it did to build the town (how
much more would need to be tested), I think you'll end up with a
system where players don't have to lose everything they own, but can
also still be held accountable by the larger community.

--Paul "Phinehas" Schwanz