[MUD-Dev] [News] Virtual goods--Oh, the controversy!

Steven King steve at madrogue.com
Thu Apr 15 15:41:00 CEST 2004

Thomas Tomiczek wrote:
> From: Jeff Fuller
>> Vincent Archer wrote:

>>> That's a problem with level-based segregation of content. The
>>> content is separated, but the playerbases are as well.

>> Personally I see this as more of a failure of the publisher to
>> maintain a fair spread of various level players as well as
>> continuosly growing the player base. Especially in games like

> The publicher is irrelevant here.

> I was in the situation in DAOC. I left.

> A "fair spread of various level players" is irrelevant if I want
> to play with my FRIENDS. I had a group I stayed with, and staying
> with them was all the fun. After my holiday I could not - I did
> not intend to run the game alone or with a new group. I
> left. Other players did not even enter the equation.

This was my problem with SWG.  Once my friends out-leveled me, I was
stuck grinding to catch up or finding new friends.  It seems that
most MMOs have the same issue, and while each generation adds new
features, this underlying issue still remains.  I am interested to
see how Ultima X and World of Warcraft handle these issues due to
their heavier focus on questing.  I would assume that a new player
on his first quest would not be able to hang with the veteran on his
fourty-third as he fights the dragon.

Steven King