[MUD-Dev] Playing catch-up with levels

cruise cruise at casual-tempest.net
Tue Apr 20 08:18:20 CEST 2004

Amanda Walker wrote:
> On Apr 18, 2004, at 7:28 PM, Byron Ellacott wrote:

>> Of course, that still leaves the problem of how to deal with
>> Candice joining your game two months after her good friends Alice
>> and Bob: can Candice meaningfully play with Alice and Bob?

> In most currently available MMORPGs, the answer is "no, not
> without special effort on Alice and Bob's part."  This means that
> referrals actually end up having a negative incentive.

This, perhaps, would be an excellent use for player-driven quests.

Alice and Bob can create a quest or several, if needed, to quickly
bring Candice up to speed. I'm well aware of the various abuses
possible with such schemes (and which were thoroughly debated
recently), but I thought it would be worth mentioning as an
excellent additional use for such a system.

--
[ cruise / casual-tempest.net / transference.org ]
   "quantam sufficit"