[MUD-Dev] Playing catch-up with levels

jfreeman at soe.sony.com jfreeman at soe.sony.com
Wed Apr 21 22:12:06 CEST 2004

--<cut>--
Note: This message was written via the list web archives.  There is
no guarantee that the claimed author is actually the author.
--<cut>--
Original message: http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2004Q2/msg00180.php

Ben Hawes <cruise at casual-tempest.net> wrote:
> Craig Huber wrote:

>> My question is, why does the vast majority keep circling back to
>> the class/level/hp paradigm in spite of the aforementioned
>> obstacles?

> In general, I really think the old level-up, rigid-class RPG has
> had it's day.

I think it's not even close to being done, and possibly here to
stay.  Players migrate to it, even when given a pure free-form skill
system.  They make "fighters", "mages", "clerics" and "thieves" out
of whatver system you give them.  Regardless of the genre.

You try to give them more and different... and they work-around your
"obnoxious designs" to get back to what they really want: classes.