[MUD-Dev] Playing catch-up with levels

Threshold RPG business at threshold-rpg.com
Thu Apr 22 08:46:00 CEST 2004

On 20 Apr 2004, at 23:59, Michael Sellers wrote:

> We've done the narrow mindless grind-design so many times that
> we've convinced ourselves that that's what people want to play,
> and even in some cases that that's the "right way" to set up the
> dynamics of MMP games.

> IMO, the current successes in the MMPORPG market notwithstanding,
> this isn't a long-term tenable way to do business -- much less to
> design creative games.

I just wanted to make the point that "the grind" and "level based
systems" are not necessarily the same thing nor does one require the
existence of the other.

"The grind" is a game design concept that is utilized because the
designer thinks creating a Skinner Box will keep people playing.

You don't usually find people "grinding" out levels in D&D, for
example.

Perhaps you were not trying to connect these concepts but it seemed
like you might be.