[MUD-Dev] Playing catch-up with levels

Hulbert Hulbert
Thu Apr 22 15:16:12 CEST 2004

On April 21, 2004 at 11:57 AM, Amanda Walker wrote:

> D&D had as well).  The main piece of d20 mechanics that I think
> MMOd20s miss is the ability to bring in a new player midstream.
> "OK, roll up a level 25 character, give me an equipment list."
> "OK, guys, while you're having your "no shit, there we were"
> session at the tavern, so-and-so comes up to you and says "I
> couldn't help overhearing..." and going from there.

> That one ability, with no other changes to game mechanics, would
> probably have kept me playing (and paying for) EQ or DAoC, because

I see this come up a lot.  It seems to me that there should be a way
for existing characters to "sponsor" a new character into the game.
I'm thinking that an existing group of player at X level could in
some way indicate that a particular newbie is their
friend/acquaintance, and have that newbie moved up to some fraction
of X.  A large enough fraction so that they can play together
without difficulty.  Perhaps with a Y level penalty to the original
characters to avoid abuse.

Maybe even allow this with non-newbie characters, so that a given
group can stay together, even if one player has been offline for a
month or two, and been left behind.

Note, however, that this opens up a market for such sponsorship that
could and would be sold on E-bay.

Lee