[MUD-Dev] Playing catch-up with levels

Kwon J. Ekstrom justice at softhome.net
Fri Apr 23 09:55:26 CEST 2004

Vincent Archer wrote:
> According to jfreeman at soe.sony.com:

>> I think it's not even close to being done, and possibly here to
>> stay.  Players migrate to it, even when given a pure free-form
>> skill system.  They make "fighters", "mages", "clerics" and
>> "thieves" out of whatver system you give them.  Regardless of the
>> genre.

>> You try to give them more and different... and they work-around
>> your "obnoxious designs" to get back to what they really want:
>> classes.

> Then why not work with that? Take the best of both worlds: a full
> freeform skill based system *with* classes and level?

> There you are: classes & levels, along with totally freeform
> skills.  The template, being known, can even guide people, while
> others will simply stumble along playing, falling "naturally" into
> a specific template.

This is similar to a system I've thought up but haven't had the
opportunity to test.  However, rather than templates, I allow open
advancement with the theory of "use it or lose it"

My idea was that classes are too, well blocky and rigid.  Rather
than have classes I allow players to choose their tendencies when
they create a character... from that point on their abilities are
gained based on what they use.

Basically I have a series of "knowledge" which are essentially
mini-classes.  Each knowledge has a level, and experience.

Each skill has a list of "prequisite knowledge", "used knowledge",
and optionally "prequisite skills".

By using a skill, it applies experience to each knowledge it uses.
In order to learn a skill, you need to have the prequisite
knowledge, and the prequisite skills (if any).

For example, "flamestrike" may be required before you can learn
"fireball".  However, just because you can use "Flamestrike" does
not mean you can use "fireball" unless you build up your "fire"
knowledge.

Additionally, there are opposing spheres of knowledge.  Gaining in
one area will create a loss in others.  The loss is spread out over
a variety of spheres, (I have some complex equations to handle
this)...

This forces players to be "careful" in their choices, but also
allows players to branch off and evolve over time.

Finally, each skill, has a "max knowledge", which is used to
calculate an adept %.  Basically you can "learn" a skill or spell
with only the prequisite knowledge to about 40%.  Not very
good..... But as you "gain" in knowledge the adept % goes up.

There are alot of ways that I "join" this knowledge system with the
other systems in my game...

Finally, my goal is to have less than 50% of the skills in the game
as combat skills.  Most will be crafting or utility... I've got a
strong interest in AI, and I'd like to allow players to use NPC's as
a resource, rather than simple fodder.  The aim is to build large
clans that are warring.  Support players and NPC's will be required
in clan-building, and "combat" players and NPC's will be required
for defense and offense.  It's my belief that this will allow more
room for strategy and interaction.

-- Kwon J. Ekstrom