[MUD-Dev] Character Restraint & Capture.

Jester jester at futuremmorpg.org
Sat Feb 28 12:25:10 CET 2004

Matt Mihaly wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, rjw wrote:

>> I've been recently mulling over an in-game mechanism by which
>> griefers can be brought to justice. I had not gone so far as to
>> consider the actual capture of players, but I was considering
>> implementation of a bounty.

> We put this kind of system into Achaea years ago and subsequently
> removed it. It's just another tool for grief play.

I think that 'this type of system' is a very broad categorization
that IMHO shouldn't be applied to rjw's thoughts or any other future
systems without due consideration to the details of the individual
implimentation.  Sorry it didn't work for you but as they say 'the
devil's in the details' :)

> The problem is that you're talking about two kinds of 'justice'
> and they are unrelated to each other. The first kind is an
> out-of-game sense of justice wherein you don't want your customers
> being griefed to the point of quitting. A bounty system such as
> you describe has nothing to do with solving this problem.

I strongly disagree with this as IMHO addressing the in game justice
will address the out of game justice. If a player sees their killer
brought to justice and forced to pay them reperation then why would
they leave the game?

> Instead, the bounty system applies to the second kind of
> 'justice', in which justice is defined merely as punishing
> lawbreakers. The laws in question here are being made by the
> players running the cities, and they may or may not have anything
> to do with the first kind of justice.

You make the presumtion that the laws players set will not be within
a framework where the system owner can set boundaries.

> Further, as a practical problem this kind of system is eminently
> gameable in the case of an NPC just creating gold to give out. If
> the gold that the NPC pays out is simply created from nothing,
> cities will place bounties on mule characters or even their
> buddies, in order to generate free gold.

This is a very implimentation specific illustration as neither I in
my orginal post or rjw in the followup state the intention to use
'free' gold I also think that how gameable a system is depends on
the robustness of the underlying concept and the attention to detail
given to the details of the implimentation.

Jester