[MUD-Dev] Character Restraint & Capture (bounty hunting)

Roy Sutton roys at mindspring.com
Sat Feb 28 12:45:30 CET 2004

At 01:13 AM 2/27/2004, Jester wrote:

> The full design theory is too large to post here so I have set up
> a web page with the full details and workings as they stand. The
> url is http://www.futuremmorpg.org/capture.asp Please have a read
> through *before* making comments or suggestions regarding the
> above scenario, as you may find your suggestion has already been
> dealt with.

I see a lot of problems with a justice system like this.  The most
obvious exploit is that it allows people with a lot of money to
bankrupt other players.  At least you removed the payback of the
victim from your discussion as that would lead to even worse
exploits.

Character A is a high-level someone that has angered a lot of
people.  Character B decides he's going to take it out on A so he
gets all his friends to chip in together to put together a massive
bounty.  They create a newbie account and have it go taunt, attack,
insult character A until A kills the newbie (or perhaps he just
engages player A with his character in non-consentual PvP but allows
A to kill him).  They then go post the massive bounty on the
character and gang-attack A.  They get back their bounty in full
from the capture and player A is out 5-10x whatever bounty the group
gets together.