[MUD-Dev] Character Restraint & Capture.

Jester jester at futuremmorpg.org
Sun Feb 29 10:59:49 CET 2004

18 Feb 2004, Marian Griffith wrote:
> On Sat 14 Feb, Damion Schubert wrote:
>> And Jester Spoke:

>>> I've been mulling this one over for some time; I am considering
>>> implementing a system whereby a character can be restrained,
>>> and/or captured by other players. I fully understand that unless
>>> I get this 100% right it will be universally hated, so I thought
>>> I'd get the views of this list's members.

>> At least in the commercial games, pretty much any feature that
>> steals the ability of movement and decision making from the user
>> is going to cause ire and frustration.  Common examples also
>> include:

> Also keep in mind that just because it is hated that does not
> auto- matically mean it should be removed or avoided. Players hate
> to die but few games have eliminated *that* annoyance.

I think that a major paradigm shift will be needed to get players to
accept a system without artificial PvP restrictions like 'zones' and
a move to a system where there is freedom to kill but consequences
for doing so.

Hopefully if I can evolve a system that (given a few common
requirements) will be implementation neutral more games will take it
up as an alternative to the 'artificial' mechanisms mentioned above.

You never know it might go someway to solving 'The tailor's problem'
scenario you wrote :)

Jester