[MUD-Dev] Character Restraint & Capture (bounty hunting)

Chris Duesing cwac5 at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 29 13:07:19 CET 2004

I see 2 minor problems with this system.

Jester <jester at futuremmorpg.org>  wrote:

> 7.  Some time later. he finds character K and attacks him.

> 8.  Whilst in combat he uses his special 'restraining' skill to
> temporarily immobilise character K

and from website:

> Bounty hunters cannot have ever Pked another player or looted a
> character in their custody this can be checked both when they go
> to the court to choose a target(s) and when they bring the killer
> in.

Simply having to attack a bounty puts the hunter at risk of killing
their bounty. This also leaves open a scenario where someone doesnt
like character B, so they use their level 1 mule to attack another
level 1 and kill them. When B comes to capture the mule the mule
attacks B and dies, thereby putting B out of business forever (if I
read your post correctly).

Also:

>  17.  With the fine paid it can now be divided between the victim
>  and the city.

If the system actually allows people to make money from being
killed, someone will figure out how to turn it into a viable
career. Again a low level mule character could be used to attack (or
provoke until they are attacked by ) random high level characters,
die, put out a bounty, and sit back waiting for their paycheck.

Chris