[MUD-Dev] Thought Experiment: Permanent Monster Death

Paul Schwanz pschwanz at comcast.net
Thu Jan 8 12:59:28 CET 2004

games at anthemion.org wrote:

> What we normally think of as content (i.e., aesthetic, play, and
> technical content) is non-rivalrous; a single unit can be shared
> by many players without lessening its utility to any of them.

Unless the unit's true utility as a game piece is tied strongly to
its ability to act as a status symbol when comparing yourself to
others, in which case mass production would indeed lessen its
utility.  Someone made this point over at TerraNova, but I can't
seem to find the thread and don't remember who posted it.

--Phin