[MUD-Dev] [BIZ] Defining 'churhn' in relation to MMO games

ren at aldermangroup.com ren at aldermangroup.com
Fri Jan 9 10:39:27 CET 2004

From: "Tom \"cro\" Gordon" <cro at alienpants.com>

>    How do you define churn?

I think that unless you are making a specific point about player
types or MMO dynamics of some types I would stick with the
definition you have given as anyone vaguely familiar with marketing
\ customer services should understand what you are talking
about. Else you would have to explain the nature of the way that you
were using the term in some detail -- which could be useful if you
want to make some other point.

Personally I can't see any right means of measuring it. It's
like the `what is the biggest MMO' question. Churn is often
taken simply to be an indicator of the ongoing cost of sale it's a
blunt instrument. Statistics about turnover of median term accounts
might be a much more important figure for an MMO -- as a general
marketer that tends to be in the audience for this sort of event
I'd certainly be interested in other measures and rationales t oo.

Ren
www.renreynolds.com
terranova.bloggs.com