[MUD-Dev] Re: Camping (Was just named as a generic MUD-DEV reply)

ren at aldermangroup.com ren at aldermangroup.com
Fri Jan 9 11:05:38 CET 2004

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 17:41:42 Chanur Silvarian wrote:

> There is no question in my mind that players enjoy killing MOBs.
> They also enjoy killing each other and crafting.  The question, as
> I said, is do they enjoy sitting in one spot for hours on end
> killing the same MOB(s) over and over again?  I don't believe they
> do.

Well in SW:G to get some xp you just camp, literally make camp and
sit in it, and that's it.

I've never met a player that likes it. I've never met a player that
does not hate it.

So of course there is emergent behaviour at camp sites, where
campers can sit in strategic positions outside cities and as close
to each other as possible. So (a) people are trapped like passing
algae, (b) so campers have someone to chat to (c) so people can run
/ speeder in and out of each others camps to up the xp and reduce
the camp time.

Ren
www.renreynolds.com
terranova.bloggs.com