[MUD-Dev] Re: Camping (Was just named as a generic MUD-DEV reply)

Brent P. Newhall me at other-space.com
Fri Jan 9 16:07:50 CET 2004

About camping:

Chanur Silvarian <chanur at guildsite.com> wrote:

> In my experience players feel that they must do it.  They seek out
> the best camp spot for maximum benefit (be that items or
> experience) and sit there for hours because they feel that is the
> only way to "progress" in the game.

Also note that people will brag about anything, even an unpleasant
task. Programmers will brag about working 80-hour weeks, hunters
will brag about sitting out in the freezing cold for hours without
nailing anything, and game players will brag about playing through
an interminable game to the bitter end.

So, even though some players may brag about their camping, that may
be bravado more than any real joy in camping.

--
Brent P. Newhall
http://brent.other-space.com/