[MUD-Dev] Re: [DGN] The psychology of random numbers

Zach Collins {Siege} zcollins at seidata.com
Sun Jan 11 02:39:47 CET 2004

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Chanur Silvarian wrote:

> My take on this is somewhat radical (I guess that describes my
> take on most gaming theories).  I don't believe there is any
> reason to quantify, even in the abstracted sense, any of the
> numbers.  What I am planning on is allowing my crafters to compare
> items, they can tell you which is the better item in a wide number
> of categories.  That's it, that's all.  You know that in these
> categories (or all categories) this sword or armor is better than
> that one.

[snip]

> I'm sure I'll have my own problems with not giving such
> measurements, so once I start getting some feedback I'll let you
> know what they are.  As I said, I plan to allow them to make
> comparisons but the only comparison measurements will be better,
> worse, or equal.

To forestall the very first problem, might I suggest allowing
crafters (or perhaps everyone) to place a personal mark on items?
Thus an expert crafter can establish a reputation across the
gameworld, or perhaps establish a crafting guild which reports to
their leader to recieve her personal mark of approval.

--
Zach Collins