[MUD-Dev] Exploits and hacks in MMORPGs

Sheela Caur'Lir dstgasey at webhiker.dk
Sun Jan 11 16:04:27 CET 2004

From: "Björn Morén" <bjoernen at hotmail.com>

> What kind of exploits and hacks can ruin a MMORPG? Please add to
> my list below.

Since you said the server is secure, I assumer there is no
possibility of dupe bugs, which is an annoyingly bad bug to
have. (And I think all major MMOG's have had it at some time)

Anyways, the second you open up for BOTs you also get :

  - Skewed market from massive BOT farming of materials.

  - BOT trade skillers, again producing massive amounts of good.

  - In game money becomes worthless at some point, ruins it for
  casual players.

  - BOTs that can grab loot from corpses other people killed, faster
  than they can.

    .... from across the zone.  *cough* EverQuest *cough*

Once one player with enough BOTs have been going on for a while,
he/she will be in control of so large amounts of resources that even
if the BOTs were removed he/she will be trouble unless catched and
banned.

Other problems :

  - Login / Password sniffer viruses -- which leads to account
  hi-jacking.

  - Exploiting fools by passing themselves off as customer service,
  thus getting the fools Login / Password

  - DOS attacks.

  - IP hi-jack attempts (those are very rare and usually caught by
  the ISPs)

---
Jens L. Nielsen
(aka. Sheela Caur'Lir)