[MUD-Dev] Congratulations Horizons...

Matt Mihaly the_logos at ironrealms.com
Wed Jan 14 06:00:40 CET 2004

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, Brad McQuaid wrote:

> Call me a nutty idealist, but I also refuse to retreat in this
> case too -- even given the proliferation of 'quest guides' or
> spoiler sites or whatever, I think we MUD/MMOG designers just have
> to accept that as an 'evil' we cannot avoid and work around it.
> This calls for innovation such that we can recapture the 'unknown'
> many of us experienced either early in an MMOG before such
> proliferation or way back in MUDs with smaller populations and
> before 'spoilers' could be so easily disseminated.

Actually, I think it just calls for ignoring people who want to ruin
their own game experience. I've never once looked at a spoiler site
when playing a mud because I just don't care for getting info
presented to me that way. If someone else does, does it really
matter? This always seems like a case of game designers wanting to
force players to experience the world in the way the game designer
wants instead of the way the player wants (keeping in mind, of
course, that the way a player wants is going to differ greatly from
player to player.)

--matt