[MUD-Dev] Congratulations Horizons...

Lee Sheldon lsheldo2 at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Jan 19 13:55:53 CET 2004

Paul Schwanz wrote:

> Why must the entertainment only be given to a select few?  Why
> cannot all the players enjoy the new area that has now been opened
> just as easily as they could enjoy a new boxed release?  As to
> anticipation, I see no reason why the marketing department cannot
> start to spin up its operation when players get close to
> completing the quest to open a new area.  In fact, I don't see why
> they couldn't give PC Gamer writers or other game media a sneak
> peek at the new area.  A preview write-up for an expansion product
> that also included some information about how players were getting
> close to activating the release sounds even more interesting to me
> than the usual boxed release.

To answer your question: the entertainment can be for all. In
Horizons anyone who wants to participate is, regardless of level.
The Dawn server completed repairing the frozen mine shaft Sunday
afternoon after over three weeks of work. Another server, Energy,
unblocked a collpased lava tube elsewhere in the world in the early
hours of that morning. Each tunnel contained a portal to different
islands with high level content, and more pieces to the puzzled on
how to free one enslaved race: satyrs. This is exactly how I
suggested new zones could be opened by DAoC in that post two years
ago. It works.

Hundreds of people helped craft and carry supplies to the mine while
others fought off escalating attacks by higher level mobs. There was
a ceremony when the mine was complete, attended by all those who
helped, a number dwarfed by other players wanting to experience the
new content. The enthusiasm for the community effort was unlike
anything I have experienced in MMORPGs.

Lee