[MUD-Dev] RE: Congratulations Horizons...

Chanur Silvarian chanur at guildsite.com
Wed Jan 21 08:49:37 CET 2004

Matt Mihaly wrote:
> Brad McQuaid wrote:

>> I think we MUD/MMOG designers just have to accept that as an
>> 'evil' we cannot avoid and work around it. This calls for
>> innovation such that we can recapture the 'unknown' many of us
>> experienced either early in an MMOG before such proliferation or
>> way back in MUDs with smaller populations and before 'spoilers'
>> could be so easily disseminated.

> Actually, I think it just calls for ignoring people who want to
> ruin their own game experience. I've never once looked at a
> spoiler site when playing a mud because I just don't care for
> getting info presented to me that way. If someone else does, does
> it really matter? This always seems like a case of game designers
> wanting to force players to experience the world in the way the
> game designer wants instead of the way the player wants (keeping
> in mind, of course, that the way a player wants is going to differ
> greatly from player to player.)

Problem is this; without ever looking at a spoiler site your quest
can be spoiled for you.  Many quests require a group of people to
complete.  If any person in your group has done the quest before,
your quest gets spoiled.

The simple fact that someone COULD have done the quest before
(meaning the quests are not unique to the player) means that you
could spoil your own quest by having done it with a different
character.  Currently in DAOC I don't believe there is a single
quest that I could undertake with any of my characters that I have
not done before.  Therefore, without ever looking at a spoiler site,
the quests are ruined for six of my eight characters.

- Chanur Silvarian -