[MUD-Dev] Character Perceptions

bjoernen at hotmail.com bjoernen at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 22 12:27:34 CET 2004

--<cut>--
Note: This message was written via the list web archives.  There is
no guarantee that the claimed author is actually the author.
--<cut>--
Original message: http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2004Q1/msg00149.php

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 17:41:59 -0800
"John Buehler" <johnbue at msn.com> wrote:

> Current graphical games seem to have the model that a player is
> running a game client which shows the virtual world as the
> player's character is driven around, doing its thing.  Players
> then generally click on objects and characters to obtain
> information about them.  The information available about an object
> is limited and quite uniform for all characters, regardless of
> skill or class.  (Which isn't very surprising, given the narrow
> 56K pipe that is the least common denominator for client internet
> communication.)

> There seems to be a significant opportunity to greatly magnify the
> entertainment value of MMORPGs by basing what the players see on
> the skills and abilities of the characters that they run.

It's an excellent idea John. I really like it.

Throttling information could also add to realism, plus it solves
bandwith problems. Say that a char can only receive information at a
max specific rate (char dependant). The server prioritises the info
(weighs in what sense organ, and distance) and sends only a specific
amount each second. For instance, in a place with lot of action
going on, only changes relatively close to the char will be updated
on screen. The rest will be "ghosted" out. Poison and low health
will decrease the rate temporarily.

/Björn Morén