[MUD-Dev] Interpersonal Relations in Virtual Worlds

Brad King wiredbeat2000 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 26 12:24:09 CET 2004

Hello all.

My name is Brad King (http://www.bradking.org/). There's a lot to
cover here, and I don't want to lose any of you, so I'm just going
to jump right in. (a little truth in advertising. I've posted this
note to other game lists as well...)

I've been asked to put together a college course that will both
familiarize students with the history of virtual worlds and
illustrate how interpersonal relationships change through
technology. I thought the best way to teach this course is through
the history of games -- partly because I co-authored a book on this
subject (www.dungeonsanddreamers.com) and partly because it's
through games that we connect with other people.

I've put together a very brief list of readings, but I was hoping
that some of you might have recommendations for case studies, books,
and other interesting tidbits that would fit into the course.

Since I'm building it from the ground up, there aren't any
requirements right now. Any suggestions would be helpful. Right now,
I'm just trying to take a survey on the thinking on this subject.

Thanks for you help, and if you have any questions, you can reply to
me off list and I'll be happy to answer them.

Have a great day.