[MUD-Dev] Python script as stand alone MUD server...

Byron Ellacott bje at apnic.net
Tue Jan 27 11:54:56 CET 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 16:46, Jason Slaughter wrote:

> I am wondering if there are any issues I am not anticipating with
> using Python? I am also wondering why there isn't more excitement
> about Python in the MUD community (am I just caught up in the
> Python hype)?

For what it's worth, EVE Online uses Stackless Python for game logic
on both client and server, according to
http://www.eve-online.com/faq/faq_07.asp.  From that brief excerpt,
it appears the big winner for EVE is coroutines, which are generally
more effective than threads.

One issue you may face is a lack of skilled developers for Python.

--
bje, not speaking for my employer.