[MUD-Dev] Python script as stand alone MUD server...

Thomas Clive Richards thomi at thomi.imail.net.nz
Tue Jan 27 17:42:08 CET 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 01:46, Jason Slaughter wrote:

> What are some other issues that I have to think about using
> Python?

I'm on the once project (http://sourceforge.net/projects/once). We
considered using python as a scripting language (our core code is
written in C++), but decided against it, because python cannot be
sandboxed easily. This is especially important if you're going to
allow third party scripts to run on the server. Even if you're
server is going to be as secure as possible, it's still a good idea
to restrict which system calls your scripts can call....

We found that a viable alternative to python was Lua
(www.lua.org). It has very similar syntax to python,but can be
easily sandboxed... In fact, it was practically built for this
application...

HTH!

--

Thomi Richards,