[MUD-Dev] Exponential experience points and levels

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Thu Jul 1 15:10:30 CEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 08:16, Adam wrote:
> Sean Middleditch wrote:
>> On Mon, 2004-06-28 at 11:54, ceo wrote:

>> Slightly OT note: this is why I much prefer having different
>> types of experience.  Exploration doesn't teach you anything
>> about how to

> I was just hoping for something simple and fun. If you have a
> working system with different experience, I'd happily have a go,
> assuming it's not too complex to get to grips with :).

It's not hard to do at all.  First, for every action that would
normally grant EXP, simply decide which kind of EXP it grants.
I.e., if an attack would normally grant 100XP, make it grant 100WXP
(Warrior XP). Then give the characters several levels - warrior
level, mage level, whatever your game needs.  Then for every
skill/effect that is level dependent, check only the level most
appropriate.  The character's "overall" level would then be a
combination of all their individual levels, and you can use that for
anything you wish.  (I don't see it as being useful for anything
other than players going "gee lookee I'm level 20!".)

>>> If you beat someone of lesser ability, again you get nothing -
>>> and may even lose experience ("character grows accustomed to
>>> lesser

>> That shouldn't work as such.  You can learn a _lot_ by fighting
>> someone even far "weaker" than you.  In truth, in many cases
>> where

> Not interested in realism. Only interested in enjoyment.

That is something I fully understand, trust me.  ;-) I simply don't
(personally) find a system that unrealistic to be fun.  Sounds more
aggravating than anything else.

> Besides, I think you're missing the point: I want to play a game
> where experience is hard to come by *by definition*. Where "level
> 12 so-and-so" is impressive simply because statistically the only
> way they made it to level 12 was by pulling off some impressive
> feats.

Fair enough. ;-)

AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.