Virtual/Real Currencies (was: RE: [MUD-Dev] [NEWS] Gaming Open Market)

Freeman, Jeff jfreeman at soe.sony.com
Thu Jul 1 18:01:40 CEST 2004

From: David Blankley

> A) For the same reason we don't have a single currency=20
> worldwide -> a currency allows you to control your economy.=20=20
> When you are pegged to someone elses currency your economy is=20
> subject to the whims and vagaries of their monetary policy.

This is an argument for keeping game currency away from real money
altogether.

> B) One area where this would have tremendous value is=20 empirical
> economic research.  An economy with independant=20 agents where
> the owner (or the agents, doesn't really matter=20 which) gets to
> play central banker and observe behavioral=20 changes and system
> wide consequences without causing havoc in=20 the $7tn US economy
> has obvious merit.

And you can't do that unless the money is traded on money markets
and treated as a "real currency"?  C'mon.

> Now to lend some heft to what I said: My undergrad is in=20
> Economics, I have a Masters in Finance, and I have several=20
> years of work experience on Wall Street.=20

That doesn't lend heft to your argument, it just establishes your
bias.  Economists think game currency should become real currency,
AI researchers think most problems with games could be solved with
better AI.  Professional writers think games will become a million
times better only when game devs hire real writers to implement
story.  I swear if there's an auto-mechanic on this list he's going
to claim the problem with MUDs is their lack of internal combustion
engines.

I think you're all crazy.