[MUD-Dev] MMORPG Cancellations: The sky is falling?

Matt Mihaly matt at ironrealms.com
Thu Jul 8 22:14:49 CEST 2004

From: Amanda Walker
> On Jul 7, 2004, at 1:04 PM, Matt Mihaly wrote:

>> Well, if 10,000 subscribers (Forbes article in June said that's
>> how many subscribers they have) is mass market, then what about
>> Puzzle Pirates or Neopets? Neopets is WAY more mass market than
>> Second Life. Heck, what about TSO? They still have over 10k
>> subscribers don't they?

> Neopets is very interesting.  I can't stand it for more than a few
> minutes at a time (and I even like cute cartoon creatures).  I
> tend not to think of it as an MMO game, but as a web game.  It's
> also free.  I am not very willing to put it into the same category
> as pay-for-play MMOs.  That said, anyone working on web
> multiplayer games needs to know about neopets.  It's quite
> amazing,

I'm not sure why using a web browser as a client as opposed to some
other program as a client makes it not an MMO. People play hundreds
of MMOs through web-based java clients, for instance.

And what about Habbo Hotel? They're making a ton of money and have
more users than Everquest does (granted, their users are not paying
anywhere near $15/month).

--matt