[MUD-Dev] MMORPG Cancellations: The sky is falling?

Koster, Raph rkoster at soe.sony.com
Fri Jul 9 18:05:01 CEST 2004

From: Paul McInnes

> The medium is still very new and raw[1]

>   [1] I realise that the text side of things is very well
>   established but I'd argue that the 3D commercial games are
>   different enough to be a different medium. Lots of overlap and
>   some deep differences.

Like what? Seriously, I keep hearing that there are deep differences
and I have yet to see them.

The single biggest difference I see right now other than graphics is
the push on the part of graphical commercial game makers to make the
games less like online worlds and more like limited multiplayer
games, via instancing and massive streamlining of feature sets. This
is something the text games could do, but never did to this degree,
and whether it is the right direction is, I think, debatable (though
no one doubts that some of the resultant games are fun).

-Raph