[MUD-Dev] Re: CoH and others (was Cancellations: ...)

Russ Whiteman russw99 at swbell.net
Sat Jul 10 23:45:25 CEST 2004

From: "Alex Chacha" <achacha at hotmail.com>

> There is definitely a lot of recycled content in CoH, the gameplay
> doesn't get any more diverse, it stays the same with different
> skins and slightly different powers on the enemies.  The tough
> part is, game play past level 15 gets very very slow and thus
> boring, this was a knee-jerk reaction to few people leveling very
> fast, they made experience gain very slow thus actually hurting
> the bulk of their users for the actions of the few hard-core
> players. This is very common in MOGs, where developers feel
> insulted that someone actually got to the highest level and thus
> they "nerf" everyone, not realizing they are hurting their game in
> the long run.  Many MOGs I played did that and it was never well
> received.

I seriously doubt that many devs get "insulted" when players race
through the content.  It's just not that personal...at least it's
not for myself or any of the others I know.  A more accurate
appraisal could be that the players who race through the content
only to find that there -is- no more new stuff won't be sticking
around long after that, and that by slowing the race down, one can
collect a few more months subscription fees.  Obviously, such a
strategy can be taken too far, but unless you have people leaving
early because they can't advance quickly enough, it's not likely to
be "hurting the game" to stretch the customer-lifetime.