[MUD-Dev] Re: Online vs Offline (was CoH and others)

Mike Rozak Mike at mxac.com.au
Fri Jul 16 23:48:47 CEST 2004

>>From Daniel Harman:

>> Playing with a bunch of adolescents - Uru Live would have solved
>> this if it hadn't gone belly up. Introducing private regions
>> solves this too... at which point the MMORPG is really a CRPG
>> that requires you to be online to play.

> How did it solve this? How do you verify someones age
> conveniently?  I imagine large numbers of adolescents don't want
> to play with adolescents either so what's to stop them saying they
> are 40.

> Is age really even a determining factor or just a convenient but
> inaccurate stereotype for a certain type of undesirable player?

Yes, I was using teenager as a sterotype for a certain form of
undesirable player. My supposition is that different styles of
content attract different types of users.

To switch genres and show an extreme example: While some teenagers
do read the Economist or WSJ, most don't. They'd find it boring and
the information useless. When you read a magazine, you don't really
know who else is reading it, and don't really care, but if the
Economist or WSJ were a virtual world you'd notice.

The content that Uru Live was providing wouldn't attract your
typical d00dz; they might log on, but they'd quickly get bored and
log out. Some teenagers would play, but they would be the more
mature ones. (I have no problems with mature teenagers.)

Mike Rozak
http://www.mxac.com.au